Friday, June 3, 2011

Moong ka cheela


This post has been updated with new pics.
As I write this piece, I remember Dipti, from whom I’d learnt this instant snack recipe. She’d been very kind to teach me and also take the efforts of cooking it in front of me, so that I don’t forget. That was way back when there was no blogs and hence no interest on recipes and cooking on my part. However I still remember how I had marveled at the simplicity of the preparation (I always though cooking was a gruesome chore, but it was THEN, not NOW). I still make it – sometimes for S’s tiffin and sometimes…just for myself. D doesn’t like it, so I never make it when he’s around…not that he’ll mind my making something for myself, but who will prepare 2 different breakfasts for 2-1/2 people ?
Moong ka cheela
Ingredients:
Green whole moong sprouts     : 1 cupful
Rice soaked overnight              : 2 tbsp
Ginger                                      : ½ inch sq piece
Garlic                                       : 1 fat clove
Green chilly                             : 1 whole
Salt                                           : ¼ tsp
Sugar (only if you are a bong) : ½ a spoonful or to taste

How to:
Step 1: Make a batter with all the above ingredients in a mixer. If required, add a little water, but the batter should be viscous with non-flowing consistency.
Step 2: heat a non-stick pan with 2-3 drops of oil rubbed in with a brinjal crown, or any flat surface.
Step 3 put a ladle full of the batter and spread it with the back of a spoon/katori as you would do for a dosa. If you want, you can flip it carefully, and brown the other side too – I do not. Just sprinkle 2-3 drops of oil before flipping.
Your north Indian breakfast is ready to be had with a little tomato sauce or coconut chutney. It goes well with both. I usually accompany it with a cup of tea.


Pictorial





















P.S. You can make it thick and soft, or thin and crispy by regulating the quantity of the batter. A large ladle full will give a soft thick cheela, and  a spoonful will give you thin and crusty cheela, almost like a green dosa :) I prefer the thin ones with a cup of tea....filling, immensely satisfying for the tastebuds, full of protein and only 30 calories each !

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like