Women are essentially multi-taskers. I will even go to the extent of calling it Compulsive Multi-tasking Disorder (CMD) that most women suffer from. Women who might not even be familiar with the term, do so with effortless elan.
I chanced to come across this rather remarkable lady in the local train the other day. While most of us manage one other task while talking on phone, here she was sitting on the floor near the door doing 5 things all at once -
- Selling hair clips,
- Breast-feeding a tiny baby in her arms
- Cleaning fenugreek leaves ( dinner preparations, probably)
- Talking on her cell-phone(business for next day), and of course
- Travelling in a crowded Mumbai local !
It’s a pity such wonderfully efficient women expend their talent just making the two ends meet !
Coming back to today’s recipe, it’s about burger cutlets. My S just loves burgers, as I’m sure the lovely kids at your home do too. Osho tells that if you want to wean your kid of something, give him so much of it that he simply gets bored of it. Voila ! Now to give him too much of burger would mean I would have to find a healthier burger…I can’t just let him have the regular version…so I decided to be a spoilsport, as always.
- I replaced the burger bun with brown bread.
- I made the patty at home
- Increased the amount of greens in it.
S has given up on eating M burgers since. He is yet to give up on the home made ones…however I’m not the one to lose hope J
I prepare large number of cutlets on weekends, and freeze them. Once your patty is ready, preparing a burger is a matter of 5 mins.
You will need:
Garlic: 6 cloves
Green chillies: 2 ( add more if you want it hot)
Ginger: grated, ½ tsp
Potato: 1 boiled
Cauliflower: 4/5 florets
French beans: 10-12
Green peas: a handful
Cumin seeds : toasted and ground
Oil: 1 tbsp:
Salt : to taste
Bread crumbs: 1 cupful
The above quantity will be enough for about 10 cutlets.
- Grate all veggies and keep aside.
- Heat oil.
- Add chopped garlic
- When garlic is slightly browned add the onions.
- When the onion is translucent, add all the remaining vegetables, salt, ginger, mix well and cover.
- Remove cover occasionally and stir.
- Towards, the end, remove cover, to allow the moisture to escape. Since the veggies are grated, they will take not more than 10 mins to cook
- Remove from heat, allow it to cool.
- After it has cooled, mix it with boiled and mashed potato, shape the cutlets,
- Roll them in breadcrumbs
At this point your patties are ready to be stored in the freezer. You can safely store them for 10 day.
- Before consumption, prepare a batter of egg + salt, or cornflour+ milk+ salt.
- Dip your patty in the batter, roll them in another round of breadcrumbs, and shallow fry them. You can also deep fry them, if you want to, and if you are not watching the calories.
13.Do what you want with the patties. Have them just like that with a hot cup of chai, place them in the middle of buns, cheese slices and salads, to make a burger. Or have it on the side with your plate of salad to make it more palatable J