Spicy Brinjal with Prawns
This dish was one of the first of my mom’s dishes I started missing when I moved out of home…first to the hostel and then work, never really went back to mom’s cooking as I knew it in my child hood days. So this happens to be one of the first dishes I learnt to cook…..It’s tasty, its uncomplicated, and prepared in less than 20 mins.
Potato: 1 large
Prawns: a handful
Onion: I large
Garlic: 6 cloves
Dried red chili: 2
Salt: 1 tsp
Turmeric: a pinch
Sugar : ½ a spoonful(optional)
Oil: 2 tsp
1. Make thin slices of Brinjals and potatoes. Slices can be approx. 1” * 4” * 2mm dimensions. That’s how I do it; you can cut them as per your liking, but make sure that the slices are thin.
2. Smear the pieces with a little salt and turmeric and fry them in separate batches, they brown, but potatoes may not. That’s okay.
3. Wash small or medium sized shrimps and rub them with a little salt and turmeric. You can use frozen ones, or fresh ones from your local market. I prefer fresh ones as they taste better.
4. In a mixer, make a paste of the onion, garlic and the red chillies. Heat a little oil in a kadhai and fry the paste well till you get a nice aroma. If you decide to add sugar, add it now.
5. Once the masala paste is fried, add the potatoes and the prawns in succession. Prawns cook quickly, so in about 2 minutes, add the fried brinjal pieces and mix the whole thing with a ladle.
Your yummy spicy brinjal prawns is ready! Have it with rice or rotis, either way it tastes great!
You may also like
Mocha ghonto - In 7 simple steps. When I was small, mocha or Banana flower used to be a favorite, but I rarely got to eat it, as mom w...
All the gossips that invoke the maximum curiosity and at the same time receive the most condemnation have one thing in common. They all inv...
An Internet friend was shocked when I told her that I have a cook. “You are running a food blog, and your own food is cooked by a cook!” S...